Wednesday, January 23, 2013

BINGO!

Have you ever had a moment where you sat silently with a smug grin on your face; you know, the one that turns one side of your mouth upwards as you give yourself a virtual pat on the back?

Me, too!  It is not often, but every now and again, I have one.  My moments are usually associated with something my kids are doing and that I have had a hand in their "success."

For example, like this morning. My daughter HATES reading.  I mean she CAN read and does when she HAS to, but reading is not an activity that she gravitates to or wants to do with her time.  (I can relate.  I was the same at her age).

But, my smug smile appeared earlier today when I have hit the jackpot.

BINGO!

I finally found some books that have captured her and have taken her hostage.  They have enveloped her with relatable characters, fun plot twists and sparked her imagination a little.

Last night, she was nearly tripping us as we arrived in the door to get to the books I picked up at the library for her.  Just for her.  I had a strong feeling she would like them.

This morning, she put her breakfast on hold and said that she would get to her school work AFTER she read for awhile.  Who can argue with that?  Not me, as I sat across from her drinking my morning coffee, with that smile adorning my face and patting myself on the back.

1 point for mom!

BINGO!

The books that I "won" with for her:
The English Roses Series by Madonna
AND
Whatever After Fairest of All by Sarah Mlynowski

I am crossing my fingers that this ignition of the desire to read for enjoyment will continue.  Well, off to hunt for some more winners, I mean, books for her to read.


No comments: