Friday, January 18, 2013

January Creations

This year, although not an actual resolution, I want to keep my creativity up and not let excuses get in the way.  We will see how long it lasts, but I am game and willing.

So far, 2013 has been a busy one.  I have completed two cowls.  Tried my hand at a cup cozy (jury's out as to if I like it or not). Designed, made, redesigned several ereader cases (and in the process created a Balckberry Playbook one, too). Oh, and I have begun working on our Disney '12 album.

Here are some of the creations:
 
These are the single cowls I made for my hubby and my daughter.  They were fast and easy to crochet (which I REALLY like!) My son wants a double cowl - so that is next on my list to complete.  Pictures will follow!


This is my second attempt at an e-reader case.  The first one, which was to fit a Sony brand, was even too tight for a Kobo Glo.  So I had to go back to the drawing board.  I like the fact it had pockets, but I dislike the yellow band around the top.  I wasn't thinking and added it on AFTER I had sewn the top together, thus, the yellow band created a bit of a pucker and left the edges raw.  Despite this "failure," I love designing and figuring things like this out.


So...

I remeasured, drew out a few ideas and came up with a simpler, yet more polished look, I believe, to a case.  However, like the other two before it, it was fatally flawed.  This time I had made my seam allowance smaller and thus created the perfect case for a Blackberry Playbook.  I love when mistakes actually look as if one had intended the outcome all along.  My son thought it great that I had made a case just for him!

Okay.  It was once again back to the drawing board (literally) for me.  I  decided then that I would make it even simpler yet again, but this time the case will include a flap to help give it some extra security (prevent the book from slipping out).


The result?  See for yourself.  I think they turned out perfect!  The cases fit like gloves.  I made 2 Kobo Glo cases - one for me (the cats) and one for my hubby's co-worker (red fan).  I also made one a little longer for the Sony e-reader for my sister (blue fan). What do you think?

Note:  I actually have my sister to thank for this grand adventure of case making as she requested one after receiving her reader at Christmas.  Thanks, Bon, for kicking me into high gear and encouraging me to get the creative juices flowing once again.
  

No comments: