Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Snow Fort in a Typical Nova Scotia Winter

I spent the first 10 years of my life in a little town of Port Hope on the shores of Lake Ontario.  While that's not an exciting tidbit of information, it does pertain to how I see winter now.  I can remember we would receive LOTS of snow... I mean LOTS of it.  Hours and hours were spent sledding, making forts and just "playing" in the white stuff.  It was awesome.

When I moved to the East Coast, I discovered a different kind of winter.  One that really hasn't changed much since I moved here over 20 (or so) years ago. While snow happens, it doesn't tend to stay long.  It is an endless pattern:  snow-rain-freeze-get warm-rain-snow-freeze-rain.  Get the picture?

Right now, I look out my front window where the epic fort that was built almost 2 weeks ago lies in ruins.  It became subject to a typical Nova Scotia winter weather pattern.  Only a couple of days after this amazing fort was built, which the neighbourhood kids flocked to and others drooled over, it rained.  Then it froze.  Then it rained again. The roof has caved in, the tunnels and walls have shrunk and well, it can no longer support life.  Ok.  Maybe Plio is the only one that can make use of it.  But otherwise, it is now a monstrosity in our front yard.

I can recall spending hours outside in the snow many days a week after school and on the weekends growing up.  My hands would be so cold, and my toes lost all feeling.  It didn't matter.  It was too fun to come inside until I absolutely had to be dragged inside the house.  I am saddened that my kids can't experience a glorious Canadian winter to this extent.  The weather doesn't allow days on end like this.  A couple of hours, yes, but not day after day. And tomorrow, well, the snow-freezing rain-snow cycle will be in full force once again.

In memory of our January 2011 snow fort.  Here are some pictures of it in its prime.

FORT CONSTRUCTION
(The night of its construction with help from our neighbour).  

Notice the "working light" in the first picture and the "foreman" checking the workmanship out in the third photo.
                                    
                                    

The FINISHED Fort 

      

THE NEXT DAY
The fort is still standing, no real change.  Playable and enjoyed by all.


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I dreamed of snow like that when I was little, and have just experienced snow that actually sticks to the ground in the past few years. It actually snowed here in South Louisiana the past two years, so my 6 year old son expects it. I think of it as a special treat, as no one knows how to drive in it so all businesses shut down.