Saturday, January 29, 2011

Words.

Words.  

Do I have your attention yet?  Read on...


According to dictionary.com, the definition of words includes the following:

1."a unit of language, consisting of one or more spoken sounds or their written representation, that functions as a principal carrier of meaning."  
2. "contentious or angry speech; a quarrel."
3. "a short talk or conversation."
4. "warrant, assurance, or promise"
5. "news; tidings; information"



 statement, declaration,  pledge,  message, report, account, 

catchword


Words hold much power.  They can build up. 
Or....  They can tear down.  


It always amazes me the ways in which we use our words to do both.  And often the latter happens without realizing that our words hurt or destroy.  So I have to remind myself to monitor and chose my words wisely.  The words I chose should be ones that "build up" and enhance the days of my children and my friends.  I want them to be blessed and/or guided by my words.  


When my Papa passed away in ' 97, I stood in the long receiving line after his memorial service.  I must have shook hands and spoke with close to 300 people.  All these individuals had such kind things to say about my Papa, not only about the man he was but about the words he said to them.  His choice of words had such an impact on those around him. I recall one man telling me that my Papa made him feel like he was worth something.  Papa didn't pass him off just because he was using the soup kitchen, but rather made him feel like a human; someone of importance.   He told me that my Papa would sit and talk to him. Papa encouraged him.  The man continued to say that when my Papa was in the room, my Papa would step back into the shadows and make people shine.  


And that's what Papa did.  Often.  My Papa, with his choice of words, would provide those around him with encouragement, respect, support and friendship.  [Isn't that a  true practitioner of the faith, as well?]  


Now, think back to when someone has said something positive or encouraging to you.  How did you feel?  What was your reaction?  Did you share or extend those kind words to someone else?


That is my experience.  The more you give away your positive, encouraging and supportive words, the more words from others are carried on in the same light and spirit.  I am always striving to keep this at the forefront of my mind and on my tongue.


However, honestly, like everyone else, I am humbled every so often when my choice is not that of positive words and the effects are the opposite. Hurt feelings and undue stress are put on relationships.  


As a teacher, a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a friend and a neighbour, I need to be an example (just like my Papa.)  I don't have to be perfect, but it is necessary to then use my words (along with actions) to heal the hurt that I unduly caused.  Not only is this a humbling and important act, but it is an example how to correct myself, the situation and to get back on track.  


Sometimes, those hurtful words are directed at you.  How do you respond?  How do those words make you feel?  What words to you give back? 


Its a never-ending game.  But we are reminded in Proverbs 16, of the power and effects of our words, and why we need to chose them wisely. 


Proverbs 16:21
21Good judgment proves
   that you are wise,
   and if you speak kindly,
   you can teach others. (CEV)


Proverbs 16:23, 24
23You can persuade others
   if you are wise
   and speak sensibly.
    24Kind words are like honey--
   they cheer you up
   and make you feel strong.(CEV)

Proverbs 16:27
27Worthless people plan trouble.

   Even their words burn
   like a flaming fire.(CEV)

(PS. I chose the Contemporary English Version for the verses as I think it spells out the point clearly)


What kind of words will you chose today?

2 comments:

boguszblogs said...

I love this post Jeanette! When I think of words and how damaging they can be, I think about James 3. Isn't it interesting that humans came tame wild animals but not their own tongues?! Powerful.

I, too, want my words to bless others in every situation. Now there's a haughty goal, but I know with God all things are possible.

I loved reading about your Papa. Have you read the poem, "The Dash", by Linda Ellis? The story of your Papa's funeral puts me in mind of this poem.

Thank you for this wonderful post! : )

JLS said...

James is one of my favourite books in the New Testament. I can always find new treasures and truths that I need to hear each time I read it. Thanks for reminding me of that today!

I will have to read the poem, "The Dash." Your suggestion has peaked my interest. :)